Last week, I posted an idea for using up leftover turkey, so this week I have an idea for using leftover mashed potatoes! I find, for some reason, I always overestimate how many potatoes I need to use to make mashed potatoes. I also find that mashed potatoes just don’t reheat very well. Nor do they freeze very well. Since I hate throwing out leftovers, I needed to find something to do with leftover mashed potatoes.
I knew I had seen on a blog somewhere to use leftover mashed potatoes to make potato soup. So I went to Pinterest, looked at a few recipes, then went to work in the kitchen. I remembered the main ingredients most of the soups had in them, then looked in my cupboards to see what I had. This is a bit of a throw together recipe, so you can sub amounts of the liquid in it and just end up with a thinner or thicker soup. You could also use or omit the cheese, and could use different types of cheese as well.
- 4 Tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 3-4 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup milk (or 2 cups milk if not using half and half)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Melt 2 Tablespoons butter in a medium pot. Saute onion and garlic in butter for a few minutes.
- Add the other 2 Tablespoons butter and Dijon mustard.
- Stir in flour to make a creamy paste.
- Slowly add the chicken broth, stirring constantly.
- Then add the half and half, then the milk, again stirring constantly.
- Add the mashed potatoes. Stir well.
- Simmer for 10-12 minutes, stirring often.
- Slowly stir in the cheese until melted. Serve with shredded cheddar on top, if desired.
On to my menu! We have a busy weekend coming up, but a fairly normal week. A few things in the plans, but not much. I’ll be linking up on I’m an Organizing Junkie if you’re looking for more meal planning ideas! I also often link up at Feeding Big, Marvelous Mondays, and Wonderful Food Wednesday. Or check out and follow my Yummy board on Pinterest! Interested in meal planning? Check out my post on meal planning. Here’s what we’re eating this week:
Breakfasts (we don’t plan for each day – see here for why – but these are our choices along with a fruit)
• Granola bars and yogurt
• Cream of Wheat or oatmeal
• Toast or English Muffins
• Breakfast sliders
• Banana smoothies
• I’m trying these breakfast bites, in my never ending quest to get my Monkey to eat a healthy breakfast before his 8am school start!
Lunches (see this post for Peanut Free lunch ideas!)
• Roo: Monday – Lunchable; Tuesday – Lunchable; Wednesday – School lunch; Thursday – School lunch; Friday – Wrap sandwich
• Monkey: Monday – Lunchable; Tuesday – School lunch; Wednesday – Lunchable; Thursday – School lunch; Friday – Mac & Cheese
• Me: Monday – Work lunch; Tuesday – Leftovers; Wednesday – Leftovers; Thursday – Leftovers; Friday – Leftovers
• Monday – Spaghetti, salad, garlic bread
• Tuesday – Chili, cornbread
• Wednesday – BLT sandwiches, acorn squash (odd combo, I know – Monkey’s request!)
• Thursday – Pot roast, mashed potatoes, broccoli
• Friday – Pizza
• Saturday – Holiday party
• Sunday – Christmas with my in-laws
What are you eating this week? Leave a comment and feel free to link back to your blog if you have your plan posted!
Like the recipe or feature this week? Please consider sending it to a friend, sharing it on Facebook or Twitter, or pinning it to Pinterest. Thanks so much!