Fall is still not quite here in Michigan. We had a local fall fest this past weekend and it was kind of hard to get into it when it was 75 degrees out and sunny! But the leaves are changing despite the warm temps and so far the weather men are predicting cooler temps this week. Almost cold by the weekend! So it is with the promise of sweater and boots weather that I’m sharing a new hearty fall soup recipe.
A couple weeks ago I was in the mood for a hearty fall soup, but couldn’t quite find a recipe for what I had in mind. I was picturing tomato-based with lots of veggies. I also wanted to make a real meal of it, so I wanted some beans and maybe pasta in there. After looking at what seemed like a zillion recipes, I just threw together my own! Here’s what I came up with! (And I’m trying out a new recipe template so you can easily print recipes – let me know what you think of it in the comments!)
- 5-6 Red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1/2 pound baby carrots
- 1/2 bag frozen green beans
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1 can light kidney beans, drained
- 1 can dark kidney beans, drained
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 40 oz. beef stock
- 2 cans tomato sauce
- 1/2 Tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 Tablespoon rosemary
- 1/2 Tablespoon Thyme
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 8 oz pasta
- Put all ingredients, except pasta, in a crock pot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Add pasta the last 30 minutes. More beef stock or water can be added if you prefer a little more "soupy" soup.
- This made enough for dinner for our family of four, plus some for lunch the next day. And then I froze another meal's worth.
Breakfasts (we don’t plan for each day – see here for why – but these are our choices along with a fruit)
• Granola bars and yogurt
• Cream of Wheat or oatmeal
• Toast or English Muffins
• Breakfast sliders
• Banana smoothies
Lunches (see this post for Peanut Free lunch ideas!)
• Roo: Monday – Lunchable; Tuesday – Pinwheels (also called roll-ups); Wednesday – School lunch; Thursday – Lunchable; Friday – PB&J
• Monkey: Monday – Lunchable; Tuesday – Pinwheels (also called roll-ups); Wednesday – Lunchable; Thursday – School lunch; Friday – PB&J
• Me: Monday – leftovers; Tuesday – Pinwheels; Wednesday – leftovers; Thursday – leftovers; Friday – leftovers or Sandwich
• Monday – Spaghetti dinner fundraiser
• Tuesday – BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches, roasted potatoes, fruit
• Wednesday – Pot Roast, mashed potatoes, carrots
• Thursday – Cheeseburgers, chips, fruit
• Friday – Game night – pizza
• Saturday – Pesto Ranch Chicken, pasta, acron squash
• Sunday – Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole, broccoli
What are you eating this week? Leave a comment and feel free to link back to your blog if you have your plan posted!
Like the recipe or feature this week? Please consider sending it to a friend, sharing it on Facebook or Twitter, or pinning it to Pinterest. Thanks so much!