For only cooking a couple “real” meals last week, we ate pretty darn good! I made both my homemade Mac & Cheese and a Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole, which my family loved both. Those made for two complete dinners and a leftover buffet dinner. Then I added in a new recipe for Broccoli Cheese Rice Casserole to go with our pork chops, and we ate pretty darn well!
Sharing my recipe for my homemade Mac & Cheese this week, and will share my recipe for my Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole next week! Enjoy!
Homemade Mac & Cheese
8 oz elbow macaroni, cooked
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
3 cups milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I use sharp or extra sharp)
1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Mix the flour, salt, pepper, and dry mustard. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the dry ingredients (flour, salt, pepper, mustard). Slowly add the milk, whisking well. Heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly add in the shredded cheddar cheese and stir until completely melted. Stir in the cooked macaroni. Pour the entire mixture into a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish. Mix the panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese and sprinkle over the top. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
This recipe freezes extremely well, so I usually make at least a triple batch of it. Simply freeze in gallon freezer bags before baking. Then thaw out, pour in the casserole dish, and bake. I usually serve with some smoked sausage and a veggie or salad.
On to my menu! Last week of softball for The Coach! And only one baseball game. but I will be busy getting ready for and holding a yard sale Friday. Looking forward to the long weekend at the end of the week! I’ll be linking up on I’m an Organizing Junkie if you’re looking for more meal planning ideas! Or check out and follow my Yummy board on Pinterest! Interested in meal planning? Check out my post on meal planning. Here’s what we’re eating this week:
Breakfasts (we don’t plan for each day – see here for why – but these are our choices along with a fruit)
- Granola bars and yogurt
- Cream of Wheat or oatmeal
- Toast or English Muffins
- Roo: Monday – Lunchable; Tuesday – Sandwich; Wednesday – School lunch; Thursday – Lunchable; Friday – School lunch
- Monkey: Monday – Lunchable; Tuesday – Sandwich; Wednesday – Mac & Cheese; Thursday – Lunchable; Friday – SpaghettiO’s
- Me: Monday – Sandwich; Tuesday – Sandwich; Wednesday – Leftovers; Thursday – Leftovers; Friday – ?Yard sale day – whatever I can fit in!
- Monday – Pork loin, Broccoli Cheese Rice Casserole, asparagus
- Tuesday – Homemade pizza, salad
- Wednesday – Stuffed Chicken, potatoes, asparagus
- Thursday – Hot Dogs, chips, fruit
- Friday – Take out (yard sale day!)
- Saturday – Steak, mushrooms, roasted potatoes, asparagus (my very favorite dinner!)
- Sunday – Leaving open for spontaneous long weekend plans!
What are you eating this week? Leave a comment and feel free to link back to your blog if you have your plan posted!