Did anyone else blink and all of a sudden find we’re well into March? That’s what happened to me! A little behind this week and just getting to posting my early week posts!
I was SO excited to make my first homemade Chicken Pot Pie last week! It turned out fabulous!! As usual, I couldn’t find a recipe I liked all of, so I mixed and matched from a few and made my own. I didn’t want to use a canned “cream of…” soup and I also wanted the ease and simplicity of using frozen veggies. I did make my pie crust from a mix, simply because the store was out of the refrigerated ready-made pie crusts. This was an excellent way to use leftover chicken!
Chicken Pot Pie
2 pie crusts (ready-made, from a mix, or homemade – just need a top and bottom crust)
2 cups cooked, diced chicken
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 ¾ cups – 2 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
1. Roll out two pie crusts and place one in a 1 ½ or 2 quart casserole dish.
2. Melt the butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Slowly stir in the flour to make a roué. Slowly stir in the chicken broth and the milk. Add the chicken and vegetables.
3. Pour the mixture into your casserole dish. Place your top pie crust on the top, pinching the edges all around to seal. Cut a slit (or cut out a shape, as I did) in the top to vent.
4. Bake at 425 degrees for 30-35 minutes, or until your pie crust is lightly browned.
On to my menu! I’ll be linking up on I’m an Organizing Junkie if you’re looking for more meal planning ideas! Or check out and follow my Yummy board on Pinterest! Interested in meal planning? Check out my post on meal planning. I’d like to note that this week, I really utilized sales in my meal planning to make a relatively inexpensive plan for the week. The rotisserie chicken for Monday was on sale, and I am using the leftovers for chicken quesadillas on Thursday, which use bell peppers and shredded cheese, both of which were on sale. Our tilapia was on sale along with the tomatoes I’m using for the sauce. And the carrots, mushrooms, and broccoli we’re having for veggies were also on sale. The steaks were already in my freezer.
Here’s what we’re eating this week:
Breakfasts (we don’t plan for each day – see here for why – but these are our choices along with a fruit)
- Granola bars and yogurt
- Cream of Wheat or oatmeal
- Toast or English Muffins
- Roo: Monday – Lunchable; Tuesday – Mama Lunch; Wednesday – School lunch; Thursday – Lunchable; Friday – Sandwich
- Monkey: Monday – Lunchable; Tuesday – Mama Lunch; Wednesday – Chicken Sandwich; Thursday – Lunchable; Friday – Sandwich
- Me: Monday – work lunch; Tuesday – Mama Lunch :); Wednesday – leftovers; Thursday – Sandwich; Friday – leftovers
- Monday – Rotisserie Chicken, mashed potatoes, carrots
- Tuesday – Tilapia with Pan Roasted Tomatoes and Pesto, potatoes, peas
- Wednesday – Youth night at church
- Thursday – Chicken Quesadillas (using leftover chicken from Monday), salad
- Friday – Steak with mushrooms, roasted potatoes, brocolli
- Saturday – Going to a hockey game
- Sunday – I’m hosting an Origami Owl party, so we’ll be snacking on party food for dinner!
What are you eating this week? Leave a comment and feel free to link back to your blog if you have your plan posted!