Last week I asked the boys for help in planning out the meals for the week. Monkey suggested chicken. When asked what kind of chicken he wanted, he replied, “The kind we eat.” So I went to Pinterest in search of a good chicken recipe to try. I found two for coconut chicken. I liked parts of both of them, but didn’t completely like either one. So I pulled what I liked out of each and made up my own. The two recipes I used for inspiration are this one and this one. Everyone loved these and thought they were just like ones you would find in a restaurant.
Coconut Chicken Strips
1 pound chicken tenderloin strips
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 cup coconut
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup apricot preserves
2 Tablespoons honey dijon mustard
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix breadcrumbs, coconut, salt, and pepper. Whisk eggs. Dredge chciken tenderloins through egg, then coat with breadcrumb/coconut mixture. Place in baking dish. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes, or until the chicken is done and the coconut starts to look crispy and slightly browned. While the chicken is baking, mix the apricot preserves and honey dijon mustard for the dipping sauce.
On to my menu! This week includes a special Valentine’s dinner! Other than that, pretty standard fare. I’ll be linking up on I’m an Organizing Junkie if you’re looking for more meal planning ideas! Or check out and follow my Yummy board on Pinterest! Interested in meal planning? Check out my post on meal planning.
Here’s what we’re eating this week:
Breakfasts (we don’t plan for each day – see here for why – but these are our choices along with a fruit)
- Granola bars and yogurt
- Cream of Wheat or oatmeal
- Toast or English Muffins
- Roo: Monday – Lunchable; Tuesday – Sandwich; Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday – School lunch
- Monkey: Monday – Lunchable; Tuesday – Sandwich; Wednesday – Mac & Cheese; Thursday – Mama Lunch; Friday – SpaghettiO’s
- Me: Monday – leftovers; Tuesday – Sandwich; Wednesday – Mac & Cheese; Thursday – Sandwich; Friday – SpaghettiO’s
- Monday – Grilled pork chops, rice, honey glazed carrots
- Tuesday – Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, green beans
- Wednesday – No youth night at church this week – the kids win, McDonald’s
- Thursday – Valentine Dinner! Heart shaped make-your-own pizzas, salad
- Friday – Brocolli Cheese Soup, sandwiches
- Saturday – Rotisserie Chicken, mac & cheese, mixed veggies
- Sunday – Beef stroganoff with egg noodles, salad
What are you eating this week? Leave a comment and feel free to link back to your blog if you have your plan posted!