Happy Super Bowl Sunday! Today is a big day around my house. Hard to believe with a football coach husband and two boys, huh? We’ll be having what we call a “tailgate dinner” tonight, complete with football paper plates! Haha! We’ll have cheese & crackers, chips & dip, veggie pizza, fruit kabobs, bacon wrapped smokies, and some brownie bites. Yum, yum, yum!
I try to make large batches of some family favorites and freeze meal sized portions, especially in the winter. This week I made homemade spaghetti sauce. I don’t usually use a recipe, but tried to write down what I used this time so I could share it with all of you! This sometimes varies depending on what I have on hand. Also, we like our sauce pretty chunky, so if you like it “saucier” I would suggest using more tomato sauce or less meat. I also sometimes add in some chopped bell pepper if I have it on hand. This recipe makes enough for our family of four and then enough to freeze for another meal.
1 pound ground beef or Italian sausage, browned
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1-2 cloves garlic
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 cans tomato sauce
2 cans tomato paste
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (I use the canned tomatoes, sauce, and paste with basil, garlic, and oregano in them and skip this)
1/2 – 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 – 2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
Place everything in the crockpot and cook on low all day (you can keep it on low as long as you need to; I would suggest at least three hours or so to really blend the flavors. I’ve let it go all day while at work, about 9 hours.)
On to my menu! We’ve been having quite the winter weather here in Michigan, so trying to keep up with the snowfall, snow days, and snowy driving conditions has exhausted me just a bit! So I enlisted the help of the boys to create this week’s meal plan. That will help to explain why there is quite a bit of kid-friendly, guy-favorite food. I’ll be linking up on I’m an Organizing Junkie if you’re looking for more meal planning ideas! Or check out and follow my Yummy board on Pinterest! Interested in meal planning? Check out my post on meal planning.
Here’s what we’re eating this week:
Breakfasts (we don’t plan for each day – see here for why – but these are our choices along with a fruit)
- Granola bars and yogurt
- Cream of Wheat or oatmeal
- Toast or English Muffins
- Roo: Monday – School lunch; Tuesday – Lunchable; Wednesday – School lunch; Thursday – Mac & Cheese; Friday – Sandwiches
- Monkey: Monday – SpaghettiO’s; Tuesday – Lunchable; Wednesday – Chicken Nuggets; Thursday – Mac & Cheese; Friday – Sandwiches
- Me: Monday – work lunch; Tuesday – Leftovers; Wednesday – Leftovers; Thursday – Sandwich; Friday – leftovers
- Monday (Roo’s choice) – Chicken Nuggets, fries, veggies
- Tuesday – Cheeseburgers, roasted potatoes, veggies
- Wednesday – Church youth night (We’re making Swanky Frankies for the meal this week)
- Thursday – Pork Chops, rice, veggies
- Friday (One of The Coach’s favorites) – Sub Sandwiches, chips, fruit
- Saturday (I will be scrapbooking for the day with my sister and sister-in-law) – Pizza
- Sunday (Monkey’s choice) – Coconut Chicken Strips, noodles, veggie
What are you eating this week? Leave a comment and feel free to link back to your blog if you have your plan posted!