I am slightly notorious in my house for forgetting to retrieve necessary ingredients (like the meat) from my sister’s deep freezer, where she is kind enough to make some room for me to keep my excellent bargain meat finds. I usually remember far to late to still make whatever it was I had planned, so I have to pinch hit and figure out a last minute plan B. Recently, I was a little limited in my choice of ingredients for throwing something together. As I stared into my not-very-full fridge, I saw hot dogs, cheese, and bacon through the clear plastic of the meat & cheese drawer. I was flooded with memories of my mom making what we always called, “Swanky Frankies.” Roo, being a bacon fanatic and a lover of hot dogs, thought this was the best meal ever. So, while I am revealing a bit of my redneck side to you, here is my recipe (if you can call it that) for Swanky Frankies.
1 package of hot dogs
4 American cheese slices, cut in half (or 8 slices cut from a block of cheddar cheese – my preference, not my children’s)
8 slices of bacon
Cut a slit in the top of each hot dog. Place the cheese into the slit in each hot dog. Wrap each hot dog with a slice of bacon and secure the ends with toothpicks. Place in a baking dish and bake at 400 degrees for 11-15 minutes, or until bacon is crisp.
On to my menu! The Coach and I will mixing business and pleasure this week – he is presenting at a coaching conference in Indianapolis and is taking me along. So his folks are watching the kids and told me not to worry about planning any food for them. Since we will have a busy week leading up to our little getaway and will probably want to take it easy when we return, I have some pretty simple meals planned again this week. I’ll be linking up on I’m an Organizing Junkie if you’re looking for more meal planning ideas! Or check out and follow my Yummy board on Pinterest! Interested in meal planning? Check out my post on meal planning.
Here’s what we’re eating this week:
Breakfasts (we don’t plan for each day – see here for why – but these are our choices along with a fruit)
- Granola bars and yogurt
- Cream of Wheat or oatmeal
- Toast or English Muffins
- Roo: Monday – no school, home with The Coach!; Tuesday – Lunchable; Wednesday – school lunch; Thursday – school lunch; Friday – Lunchable
- Monkey: Monday – home with The Coach!; Tuesday – Lunchable; Wednesday – PB&J Sandwich; Thursday – soup; Friday – Lunchable
- Me: Monday – leftovers; Tuesday & Wednesday – presentations for work at lunch time – eat in the car!; Thursday – Sandwich; Friday – Indy!
- Monday – Sloppy Joes, roasted potatoes, veggie
- Tuesday – Sloppy Dogs (hot dogs with leftover Sloppy Joe meat), chips, fruit
- Wednesday – Church youth night
- Thursday – The Coach and I in Indy!
- Friday – The Coach and I in Indy!
- Saturday – BBQ shredded chicken sandwiches, fries, veggie
- Sunday – Angel Chicken, rice, veggies (I didn’t end up making this last week because I decided to make a big pot of soup since it was a COLD and snowy day!!)
What are you eating this week? Leave a comment and feel free to link back to your blog if you have your plan posted!